Monday, February 9, 2015

article summary

 
           
 

"I went to school until the fifth grade. I was 14 when I was married. My husband is 21. It’s a girl. I want to give her everything. I want her to study. — Soyla, 15
 

The article, "Child, Bride, Mother", by Stephanie Sinclair is about how teenage girls in Guatemala get married at a young age to older men and get pregnant, which then severely affects their lives. For example, in the villages of Guatemala, around 53 percent of women aged 20 to 24 were married before age eighteen, and 13 percent before age fifteen, according to the Population Council. Many of the young ladies give up their education, were subject to physical and sexual violence, and risked dangerous pregnancies and went without medical care. Their lives are basically controlled by older men. The legal age marriage is 14 with parental consent in Guatemala.


http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/02/08/opinion/sunday/exposures-child-bride-mother-stephanie-sinclair.html?_r=0

1 comment: